[lit-ideas] Re: The Problem of Evil

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 17:19:53 -0800

John McCreery wrote:

While everyone is piling on, I here offer my own comeback to Professor
Paul's Socratic ignorance.

It isn't Socratic ignorance. It's global ignorance.

That evil is the necessary counterpart and only logical alternative to
good presupposes a black-and-white world, in which only two states,
good and evil are possible. Thus, what is not good is evil and what is
not evil as good.

This is pretty much what I said earlier, in different terms. The view that 'evil' is the necessary counterpart of good is no more mine that would the analogous view that there are only two sexes. Sleeping is conceptually opposed to waking; but one may be semi-awake, in a stupor, or dead.

Robert Paul
Reed College