[lit-ideas] Re: The Problem of Evil

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 03:52:54 EST

I've always preferred Augustine over Aquinas..

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: The Problem of
Evil  Date: 3/9/06 2:47:51 A.M. Central Standard Time  From: _teme17@xxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:teme17@xxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've been told, and not that I really know  anything
about this, that the Catholic position on original sin
and  existence of evil is from Augustine. Augustine,
and not that I know that much  about his philosophy
either, held that God exists outside time, or  perhaps
better that God sees the creation as a whole from
beginning to  eternity.

That is time itself is part of creation, and because
God is  omnipotent, he therefore is not bound by time.
While everything that happens  to us is predestined,
the whole notion of predestination presumes time,  that
is a sequence of events. We are doomed by our
imperfection to see as  a continuity what is a whole. I
think may be wrong about this, but isn't the  original
sin for Augustine man choosing to step into temporal
existence  with all the misery it contains?

I always thought that the idea of God  outside time was
extremely clever. Ad hoc and unhelpful, but  still.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki,  Finland

Do You  Yahoo!?