[lit-ideas] Re: The Problem of Evil

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 00:31:39 -0800 (PST)

I beg to differ with Robert Paul on necessicity of
existence of pain or evil. In physics there is no such
thing as cold, only lack of heat. Or at least that is
what I keep telling myself waiting for the winter to
break (it's -15C outside right now.) Similarily,
hunger is abcense of food.

The point I am trying to make is that feeling of
something and cause of something are not necessarily
the same. Pain, physical pain at least, is in someways
an abnormality. If I get a cut on my finger, it is the
result of my body being damaged and the pain will
cease once the cut heals, that is gets back to normal
condition.

To say that evil is lack of goodness is a statement on
cause of evil, not on how it feels. To take this
further, we could also say that good and evil are not
two things but one thing, and when the thing is
present we call it good and when abcent evil.

As a way of using words, that something when present
is called one thing and when abcent other is not that
uncommon. For example night and day (abcence/precence
of daylight), or peace and war (armed conflict).

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland

http://mail.yahoo.com