[lit-ideas] Re: The Piano Man

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:16:58 -0400

That's where we're different. I do have a hard and fast belief in science.

I don't have a 'belief' in science. I just think that a proof is a proof and, until another one comes along to supercede it, I go with the latest truth. It's not a belief, it's a reaction to my rational being just accepting it as the most truthful explanation for now.

I don't believe in God or the supernatural under any circumstances.  I
don't believe in UFO's.  I do believe in the immense power of the mind and
in the power of suggestion.  I do not believe in clairvoyance.  I also
don't believe things just are.  There's an explanation for everything, even
if we don't know what that explanation is.

I think that's true too, but one time's explanation is another's brunt of a joke. So why is anything "true" today? Why should we be so different?

The laws of physics and the elements are constant throughout the universe.

I used to believe that.

We are uncovering those laws bit by bit and finding out that we on earth are subject to them along
with the rest of the universe. I believe the mind also follows certain
principles that are slowly showing themselves. I believe there are reasons
for obsessions, compulsions, depressions, love, hate, phobias, whatever,
just like there are reasons for everything else.

I agree, there is a reason for everything. I TOTALLY agree.

Saying things just are seems a statement of hopelessness in my opinion.

Well, I'm a pretty hopeless person. But I don't think I was saying things just are. I was saying that I accept everything because I know absolutely nothing.

I think Dan Brown raises interesting questions.  His playing fast and loose
with some of the historical facts doesn't invalidate his questions, and his
fast and loose is no faster or looser than anyone else's, including that of
the Bible and other "holy" books.

I agree. I enjoyed the two I've read so far, even if he is a terrible writer. I know the "reason" for my enjoyment.