[lit-ideas] Re: The Piano Man

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:47:58 +0100 (BST)

--- Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "When he played the piano in the hospital he didn't play it that
> well, contrary to all the reports, but just kept tapping one key
> continuously."
>
> ----
>
> Easy to see how this might be confused with a classical recital.
> Perhaps Debussy's repeated-note etude?

In a similar vein, the papers are perhaps wrong to assume he stopped playing
when they took him away from the piano - he could have been continuously
playing a wicked version of John Cages '47 seconds' (or whatever that
soundless conceptual composition is called). If so, I would certainly be
interested to hear it to compare it with other well-known versions. It may in
fact have been the gradual but marked progress he made in playing this
notoriously difficult piece that finally convinced his psychiatric assessors
that he was so markedly improved that they could release him at a saving to
the British tax-payer of over £400 per day.

Btw, I had a strange hunch he was gay and German right from the off. His
behaviour is absolutely typical of them in my experience. Now no doubt he has
swanned off to don his lederhosen, slap his thighs with other likeminded men,
and, despite two world wars, go jogging on the beach looking unrepentant.

Donal
Sallop