[lit-ideas] Re: The Other Hand

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:49:33 +0100 (BST)

--- Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote: >
> We are considering anaphora in discourse:
>
>      (1) I'm honored to shake
>           the hand
>          of a brave Iraqi citizen  who had
>           his  hand
>          cut off by Saddam  Hussein.
>
> McEvoy applies Gricean considerations on politeness and  writes:

Since my earlier posting I have done some research and found that this
quotation, though the words were spoken by Bush, was in fact minted by his
speech-writers. Bush had planned to say 'I am honoured to shake this man's
brave remaining hand - I've shaken a lot of brave hands, folks, and sometimes
you don't even have sureness as to what hand to shake. But today that wasn't
a problem'.

So don't blame Bush.

Messenger - sooooo many all-new ways to express yourself
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com