[lit-ideas] The Other Hand

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:36:41 EDT

We are considering anaphora in discourse:

     (1) I'm honored to shake
          the hand
         of a brave Iraqi citizen  who had
          his  hand
         cut off by Saddam  Hussein.

McEvoy applies Gricean considerations on politeness and  writes:

>I tend to agree with Mike Geary. ... "other  hand" is
>the implicit meaning of the second "hand" in [the]
>sentence.

Thus providing the explicit expanded logical form:

(2) I'm honored to shake
     the hand
    of a brave Iraqi citizen who had
    his OTHER hand
    cut off by Saddam Hussein.

Logic being what it is, note that the reverse is also possible, if a bit
more cumbersome?, where 'other' expands the first 'hand', leaving the second
'hand' untouched -- since it was already 'cut off' by S. Hussein, anyway:

(3) I'm honored to shake
     the _other_ hand
    of a brave Iraqi citizen who had
    his hand