[lit-ideas] Re: The Other Hand

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 23:12:49 -0500

> Actually, an expert in etiquette tells me that the right thing to do is to
> shake the (upper) arm (from where the hand was cut off), rather than to
shake
> the other (existing) hand.

But what if the person hasn't had her arm chopped off by Saddam, but is only
a thalidomide baby with only a flipper like limb coming out of the shoulder.
Should one shake that?  That could be disconcerting.  Wouldn't it be better
to just bark like a seal and bump chests?  I don't know.   Life is a very
complicated affair.  I prefer Tennessee where we ridicule the unusual.  And
shoot those who try to fool us.

Mike Geary
had enough of complications
ready to take action