[lit-ideas] Re: "p & p"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:17:26 EDT

I wrote:

>I'm not aware of any expression in colloquial, ordinary
>... English of the form, "p & p"

On second thoughts, there is the range of expressions of the form,

       "He goes on and he goes on"

-- the OED does not seem to recognise this use of 'and'.

Another example that came to mind was:

        "He tries and [he] tries."

for which google.com retrieves 887 hits. Curiously, most hits are of a
sexual nature, but at least one is not:

_Native American Authors: Joe McLellan_
(http://www.ipl.org/div/natam/bin/browse.pl/A372)
He tries and tries to get  the berries from the lake but each time he tries
to get them out of the  lake his hands are empty. ...
_www.ipl.org/div/natam/bin/browse.pl/A372_
(http://www.ipl.org/div/natam/bin/browse.pl/A372)

McEvoy may object that the case of 'tries and tries' is not really like
Geary's "f* yourself and f* yourself'.

In 'tries and tries', each 'tries' corresponds to a _different_ act of
trying ('he tries in time 1, and he tries in time 2>1)?

So perhaps we may still need to find a colloquial example of McEvoy's
proposed challenge.

Cheers,

JL