[lit-ideas] Re: The Other Hand

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 22:03:17 EDT

In a message dated 6/28/2004 9:56:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
JulieReneB@xxxxxxx writes:
<<Bush had planned to say 'I am honoured to shake this  man's
brave remaining hand - I've shaken a lot of brave hands, folks, and  sometimes
you don't even have sureness as to what hand to shake. But today  that wasn't
a problem'.>>
Yikes.  All they had to do was cut  out the pseudo-comedic-folksy part of
"having sureness"  and it's not  being a problem.

----

Actually, an expert in etiquette tells me that the right thing to do is to
shake the (upper) arm (from where the hand was cut off), rather than to shake
the other (existing) hand.

Cheers,

JL