[lit-ideas] Re: The 'Near-Eastern' influences on the Greek philosophy, sc...

  • From: John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 12:38:58 +0900

On 2004/04/10, at 11:34, Scribe1865@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 4/9/2004 3:28:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>> To paraphrase Emerson in Self-Reliance (cut)
> *Why do you need Emerson - aren't you supposed to
> express a purely individual opinion ?
> That's your opinion, not mine.

As Eric and Omar lurch toward the usual sort of unsatisfactory
conclusion to the discussions we have here--if not an agreement to
disagree, a leaving the field to go off and sulk in our own tents--I
will say re this thread that I lean toward Eric's position but feel
that he does not go far enough in developing what should be a
thoroughly historical argument.

Were the Greeks influenced by Middle Eastern ideas concerning
mathematics, architecture, astronomy, etc.? Yes.

Were the Greeks original in the ways in which they developed these
ideas and added their own? Yes.

Does either of these propositions justify grand, ahistorical leaps from
Middle Eastern monotheisms to, for example, Jefferson writing in the
Declaration of Independence that "All Men are endowed by their
Creator...." No.

What is omitted is several hundreds of years of philosophical labor to
synthesize  Greek and Middle Eastern views that produced the works to
which Jefferson's writing alludes and the particular state of play in
this long conversation at the moment in which Jefferson was writing.

If Omar wishes to complain that conventional presentations of the
History of Philosophy in which "philosophy" is limited to philosophy in
"the West" ignore the contributions of thinkers in other parts of the
world, that can hardly be denied. The way I was taught the subject
(WARNING: forty years ago), in which a firm line was drawn from the
Pre-Socratics through Plato and Aristotle to the Stoics and Epicureans,
St. Thomas and St. Augstine....to the Renaissance, etc., with only a
cursory bow to the Muslim thinkers who preserved the writings of the
Greeks and passed them them back to the West when the Renaissance came
around is, perhaps, a particularly egregious example. In effect it
reduces the role of those Muslim thinkers to one similar to that of the
Monks who, it was said, played a similar role in preserving important
documents until sharper thinkers came along.

What I offer here is a speculation that what we are pleased to call
Western thought and the emergence from it of what we call Science
reflects the peculiar historical confluence of Greek rationalism with
Middle Eastern monotheism, combined with a leap to insisting on
empirical verification instead of cogitation alone. The three central
contributions were

(1) the Greeks insistence on framing explanations in terms of abstract
law-like principles, instead of arbitrary decisions by deities presumed
to be tossed around by the same sorts of emotions that affect mortal
decisions.

(2) the Middle Eastern Monotheists' insistence that the Creator is
somewhere else than inside His Creation and of a radically different
nature from His Creation. Assimilating this notion in Western
philosophy made it possible to envision causes that are fundamentally
different from their effects and not mere abstractions from the
"natural" categories perceived by our naive senses.

(3) The combination of (1) and (2) created the perennial mystery at the
heart of modern Science: How do you demonstrate the law-like effects of
principles that are not immediately visible to our senses? This
question has driven the development of scientific methods of hypothesis
formulation and testing that have, in brute fact, utterly reshaped what
we call the modern world.

One implication of this argument is that without (2) Greek thought and
its Roman successors would have been left at the same pre-scientific
level as Hindu, Buddhist or Confucian philosophy, all wonderful mental
architectures built by unaided rational thought on the basis of what
one culture or another takes to be natural categories.

I now pause here in hopes of useful feedback. The meat is on the spit,
all ready for proper roasting and seasoning. Bring on the flames and
the cooks.

John L. McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.
55-13-202 Miyagaya, Nishi-ku