[lit-ideas] Re: The 'Near-Eastern' influences on the Greek philosophy, sc...

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:55:48 +0100 (BST)

  What texts of Avicenna's
> support
> it, I have no idea, but neither am I driven to doubt the existence of the
> lost
> text; for one doubts on the same sorts of grounds one believes, and where I
> have
> no grounds for belief, I have none for doubt either.

This strikes me as sophistry [and fairly Wittgtn. sounding to boot]. I can
have grounds for doubting x while lacking grounds for believing x. Of course,
we might say where there are no grounds favouring doubt or belief, then we
have grounds neither for doubt nor belief. But this banality is not what
Robert Paul said taking what is written at face value.

Donal