[lit-ideas] Re: The 'Near-Eastern' influences on the Greek philosophy, sc...

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 23:35:03 EDT

Robert asks, "Are you folks having a good time out there?"
Are we ever! I found a very good text that lays out the significant
contributions of the ancient near east in the archaic period. While this is
beside the
point I am arguing, it certainly supports Omar's contention that many of the
prerequisites of the Greek Golden Age are borrowings or co-optings of near
eastern culture.

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog/BURORI.html

The Orientalizing Revolution
Near Eastern Influence on Greek Culture in the Early Archaic Age

Walter Burkert
Translated by Margaret Pinder
The splendid culture of the ancient Greeks has often been described as
emerging like a miracle from a genius of its own, owing practically nothing to
its
neighbors. Walter Burkert offers a decisive argument against that distorted
view, pointing toward a balanced picture of the archaic period "in which, under
the influence of the Semitic East--from writers, craftsmen, merchants,
healers--Greek culture began its unique flowering, soon to assume cultural
hegemony in
the Mediterranean."
OTHER HARVARD BOOKS BY WALTER BURKERT
Ancient Mystery Cults
Creation of the Sacred: Tracks of Biology in Early Religions
Greek Religion
Lore and Science in Ancient Pythagoreanism