[lit-ideas] Re: The 'Near-Eastern' influences on the Greek philosophy, sc...

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 13:02:11 EDT

In a message dated 4/10/2004 10:50:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
junger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The question is, how the Old Testament's Jehovah,
: an extremely temperamental Deity inclined to all sorts of (from a human :
perspective) arbitrary nastiness (see, for example, the Book of Job) : become
tamed into the Deists' watchmaker, who then wanders off stage, : leaving
Natural Laws in his place
_____
In my first post, I suggested in passing that it is due to the three Western
religions' attempt to view the world as an artifact, something shaped and
created, along the lines of a clay figurine or bowl shaped by a creator god.
Viewing the world as an artifact, as the religions of the ancient Near East
do, rather than as organic process, as for example the Taoists do, allows it
and its creatures to be subject to all kinds of limitations specific to
artifacts. Here are a few of the limitations implied by the universe seen as
artifact:

(1) It sets up a spirit/matter dichotomy in which people COME INTO the world
rather than GROW OUT OF the world.

(2) It sets an unbridgeable gap between creator and created. In such a
situation, all knowledge comes from the Lord, and attempts at individual
inquiry
succeed or fail on the basis of appeals to a creator existing outside its
creation.

(3) It encourages a view of the world as something that exists for the sake
of something else. Therefore the universe can be made war on (we conquer space)
used up (we cut down all the forests) or managed as if by an outside agency
(we are stewards of the planet for God).

Cause/effect is thus one of the implications of (2) where simplified aspects
of the natural world are broken into sets believed to be responsible for each
other.

When it became obvious that the fire-demons Yahweh or Allah were not active
in the world except by extension, what was presumed to remain were the RULES
set up by these Creator of Artifacts, hence natural law, the limits imposed on
the artifact by the nature of its form, i.e., pottery, figurine making.