[lit-ideas] Re: The 'Near-Eastern' influences on the Greek philosophy, sc...

  • From: John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:39:43 +0900

On 2004/04/11, at 20:23, Robert Paul wrote:

>> In a message dated 4/11/2004 11:09:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> JulieReneB@xxxxxxx writes:
> Eric writes:
>
>> In a message dated 4/11/2004 11:09:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> JulieReneB@xxxxxxx writes:
> e.g. Avicenna (transliteratoins vary) and Maimonides....
> Both of whom were very much influenced by Aristotle.<
>
> Are you folks having a good time out there?

The prima facie case is that thinkers like Avicenna and Maimonides get
relegated to passing mentions--kind of like the technical folks in the
long lists that scroll by at the end of a film.  The critical issue, I
suppose, is whether they have any more claim on star billing than say,
Plotinus. Are they truly brilliant but neglected thinkers who still
have something to say to us today or good but only second-rate minds of
what Joseph Levenson called "of merely historical" interest?

John L. McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.
55-13-202 Miyagaya, Nishi-ku
Yokohama, Japan 220-0006