[lit-ideas] Re: The Institution of Slavery and the Concept of Free Will

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 11:45:14 +0100 (BST)

Assuming some indeterminancy (at least of interpretation): could not this story
hinge on a play on words between the literal meaning of 'twisting a leg' and a
non-literal meaning, that may be akin to 'pulling my leg' or 'twisting my arm'
or even 'twisting my melon' in their non-literal meanings? So it is a kind of
joke and not a case where Epic (as his friends called him) was making a
prophecy, the fulfillment of which demonstrated determinism?

Btw, apparently Epic was a depressive and so this story is also the first
instance of saddo-maso-stoicism.

Donal