[lit-ideas] Re: The Institution of Slavery and the Concept of Free Will

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 17:01:12 -0700

JL writes
Geary asks:

Is the physical world strictly determined?

This was partly Epictetus´s problem. For those who know Greek, they should be amused that what Epictetus said, in Greek, was:

"You will twist my leg."

His master did eventually twist Epictetus's leg. Epictetus commented,

"I told you you would twist my leg."
If we're going to trade apocryphal stories, this is the usual version: One day Epictetus' master was twisting his leg. 'If you keep on,' said Epictetus, 'you will break it.' His master did not stop, and eventually broke Epictetus' leg. 'I told you so,' said Epictetus.

This was the first recorded instance of maso-stoicism.

Robert Paul