[lit-ideas] Re: "The Day After Yesterday"

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:21:52 -0600

As long as we're discussing the lines from SIDEWAYS as well as the
general referent to "yesterday," let me add my 1 cent's worth:

I think the title of the protagonist's book, THE DAY AFTER YESTERDAY,
was as nerdy and wordy as he was.  The title was not "evocative," just
odd.  And the reply of "That's today" was a way of showing the more
direct, more meaningful way that the waitress viewed things; her
expressions were missing in his life AND in his book title. This may be
obvious, but so was most of the movie; so much so that I too found it
about an hour too long.