[lit-ideas] Re: "The Day After Yesterday"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:23:56 EST

Andreas and Julie mention "The day after tomorrow".

In a message dated 1/31/2005 2:11:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, Jlsperanza
writes:
Now, I don't know about Anglo-Saxon (Old English), but one has to admit  that
the phrase 'the day after tomorrow' is a paraphrasis. In other languages,
there is a shorter expression ('pasado-manhana', in Spanish). (How's that in
Arabic, Mirembe?).

I find in the OED that there is the expression, 'overmorrow', possibly
modeled after German 'uebermorgen'. Today would be overyesterday, then?

I notice that "The day after yesterday" is apparently the title of a
painting by Salvador Dali?

It would be good to have the bit of script in Sideways immediately leading
to the cited exchange and that immediately following it. It's particularly
good,  and has been described (online) as the "summation, in one sentence, of
the
failed writer". I'm not so sure about that.

Cheers,

JL

'overmorrow'

[<  OVER- + MORROW n., prob. after  German übermorgen.]
A. adv. On the day after tomorrow.

1535 Bible (Coverdale): Tobit viii. 4
Vp Sara, let vs make  oure prayer vnto God to daye, tomorow, and  ouermorow.

B.  adj. Of or relating to the day after  tomorrow.

1577  H. I. tr. H. Bullinger  50 Godlie Serm. (1592) 280
Thou needest not by  thy morrowe and ouer-morrowe delayes to augment his
discommoditye.

(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/cgi/entry_main/00337442?query_type=advsearch&queryword=the+day+after+tomorrow&first=1&max_to_show=10&searc
h_spec=simple:fulltext&order=ab&return_set=entries&sort_type=alpha&search_id=X
KQD-mqEIvn-#top)