[lit-ideas] Re: "The Day After Yesterday"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:31:06 EST

In a message dated 1/31/2005 2:25:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
pas@xxxxxxxx writes:
Having  seen this movie over the weekend, I am tempted to say "Alas, this is
one  of the FEW sparks of the potential for good dialogue in an otherwise
WAY  OVERBLOWN movie."

It's rather fitting that THAT line has sparked a post  [by JLS] to
lit-ideas. In fact, that was the only exchange in the whole  movie that
jumped out at me as an "mmm hmm!" [pondering sound with hand on  chin]
moment in what is a talky film with nothing worth talking  about

---

Well, yes,  thank you. Maia (the actor playing Maia) deserves the Oscar for
her performance  of that line,

       "Oh, you mean, 'today'.

Without a bit of condescension, as it is said online.

Problem is that Miles _doubts_, but that's his character I suppose. He  goes,

       "Mmm. I suppose so."

But it's obvious that Maia is failing to see the _implicature_ of the  novel.
A hymn to pessimism, as it is described online. The 'suicidal title' par
excellence, with echoes of a hangover.

I'm not sure I agree with Andreas that 'today' is used only for 'sunny  days'
('when there is sun'). Surely a novel titled "Today" would not 'trigger'  the
'suicidal' implicature that 'The day after yesterday' seems to trigger.

Thanks for the comments,

Cheers,

JL