[lit-ideas] Re: The Answering Machine

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 10:16:44 +0900

@Robert

Thank you for the quote. I hadn't read this before.

@Donal

I am myself not particularly interested in debating the reputations of
philosophers qua philosophers. On the whole, I find Popper persuasive. I do
not expect to worship him.

When these debates arise, I am always reminded of what Warren McCulloch,
the father of automata theory, wrote about his work in *Embodiments of
Mind. *I have mentioned this before, but just to refresh our memories.
McCulloch says that his goal is to build machines that do things that
humans can do. Whenever he builds a machine, there are things that humans
do that it cannot do—at which point there are always those who claim, "See,
no machine will ever do what humans can do." McCulloch, he builds another,
better machine.

I note the the following line in the quote with which Robert has provided
us:

In order that tones of voice may not help the interrogator the answers
> should be written, or better still, typewritten.

Here we find an arena in which the work of students of natural language and
virtual realities are converging. The former ask, empirically, not
hypothetically, where does the notion that people have unspoken intentions
come from? The answer, crudely stated, is body language and paralinguistic
features of speech, e.g., tone of voice. Intentions, feelings, internal
conflicts—all are ways we attempt to account for discrepancies between what
people are saying and how they are behaving, as indicated by these
non-linguistic signals. Builders of virtual realities have taken note of
these findings, so that artificial agents, in the form of avatars that
appear in video games, for example, are becoming increasingly lifelike.
They can say one thing and act in ways that contradict what they say,
making it appear that they, too, have intentions, feelings, internal
contradictions. Shrewd observers like Eric can structure questions in ways
that penetrate the mask and reveal the underlying machine; but how this
differs substantially from say, a cartoonist depicting Mitt Romney as a
robot, is hard to say. At the limit of our understanding, the questions
"Can a machine think like a human?" and "Is a human, after all, only a
particular type of machine?" are equally unanswerable, increasingly so in a
world where tangible evidence for one or another is harder and harder to
come by. Turing's age of innocence in which marks on paper were the only
way to conceal the difference or, only a little later, the kinds of voices
imitated by Sting in "Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto, seemed to provide a clear
single that the machine, not a man, was talking is fast disappearing.

Cheers,

John

--
John McCreery