[lit-ideas] Re: The Answering Machine

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:20:02 +0900

A Turing machine and an answering machine differ in one fundamental way. An
answering machine is limited to a finite set of answers (typically with
only one member). A Turing machine shares with human beings the ability to
generate an infinite number of different answers, thanks to combinatorics
and recursion.

Cheers,

John McC

--