[lit-ideas] Turing, Grice Style

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 19:24:56 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 1/12/2012 9:34:11 P.M. UTC-02, donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
 writes:
Whatever the statistical evidence, the paper does not suggest that  Turing
is much of a philosopher, though admittedly this might said be of many
academic philosophers also.

Ah well. According to wiki, though, he still  was:

--- a mathematician.
--- a logician.
--- a cryptanalyst
and
--- a computer scientist.

So I guess one should not (can't) have _everyffink_?

---

O. T. O. H., Grice, was was not a mathematician, nor a logician, nor a
cryptanalyst, nor a computer scientist, thought highly of Turing. Grice
endorsed, contra Popper, a strong form of FUNCTIONALISM (in "Method in
philosophical psychology", repr. in his second book, "The conception of
value").  For
functionalism, the mind is a Turing machine:

----- perceptual
--------- input.

e.g. a red pillar

----------------------------------------[the mind qua black box]
-------------------------------------------- what Grice calls 'the soul',
the psyche.

behavioural output.
e.g. utterance,
                               "That pillar looks red to me."

Grice, "The causal theory of perception" ("But it IS red". "What makes you
think that my saying it _seems_ or looks red to me runs counter to the
evidence  that it _is_ red?" -- and so on).

Functionalist Grice, like Turing, etc., endorses ultimately Witters's
claim, as tr. by Anscombe, that there is no need for psychological
instantiation
 or instantiables without the behavioural manifestation that such
instantiables  are brought in to explain. Or something.

Grice dismissed all the verbal play by Turing on 'think' and 'machine',
which Grice thought outdated, given the priority of Ryle, "The concept of
mind",  which Turing should have known better.

Cheers,

Speranza

"Alan Mathison Turing, OBE, FRS ( /ˈtjʊərɪŋ/ tewr-ing; 23 June 1912 – 7
June 1954), was an English mathematician, logician, cryptanalyst, and
computer  scientist."