[lit-ideas] Re: The Answering Machine

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 16:32:44 -0800

 Let me add to John McCreery's clarification, that the Turing Machine was a
thought experiment, not an actual computer or other device although some people
have tried to build them for (I guess) pedagogical purposes:
<http://www.loebner.net/Prizef/TuringArticle.html>

In Turing's paper, 'Turing Machines and Intelligence,' MIND, 1950, Turing does
describe the kinds of machines (including digital computers) that might have
some chance of fooling the interrogator into thinking she was engaged in a
conversation with a human subject; and human subjects will, of course, be
interrogated along with 'machines.'

Robert Paul,
caught in an almost infinite loop...