[lit-ideas] T'AINT FUNNY, MCGEE

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 23:57:17 -0600

Irene and Ritchie admit to not finding Seinfeld funny. That's funny. As in strange, I mean. I always find it strange when someone doesn't share the humor I find in something. Humor seems such an unmediated response to life that it makes me wonder when not shared if something's the matter with me or them. Them, of course. At least we can all agree on that. But how explain their aberrations? Take my youngest brother for instance. I thought I knew him pretty well. Hell, I changed the little dit's diapers, for Christ's sake, of course I know him. But just last week he tells me that he and his wife don't like The Office. I couldn't have been more shocked if he'd told me he voted Republican. What do you mean you don't like it, I demanded. How can you not like it? We just don't find it funny, he said. But then he works in an office, doesn't he? Yes, he does. He probably thinks it's a real documentary. I think it's the funniest show on TV. Maybe, just maybe, even funnier than Seinfeld which I used to think was the funniest show ever. I also love South Park and The Simpsons. Surely there's no one alive who doesn't find them funny. That would not be an aberration that would be an abomination.

Mike Geary
Memphis

If you're old enough to remember the Bob and Ray Show, then you know hilarity. I used to listen their show on radio in the 50's. So too the George Burns and Gracie Allen Show and later watched them on TV, also the Jack Benny Show. All those were wonderfully funny shows. As a kid I thought they were funny and even more so as an adult.