[lit-ideas] Re: T'AINT FUNNY, MCGEE

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 21:00:30 -0500

To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 12/8/2006 8:46:07 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: T'AINT FUNNY, MCGEE

<<So what's your explanation for why mankind continues to be so religious?>>

Well, I'm a little close to the subject being, i.e., a part of mankind
myself....  I have no explanations -- that's like asking a dog to explain the
behaviour of canines.

A.A. I guess by that definition there's not much we can say or theorize about
mankind, since we're all part of it.

J.K.  The simple fact is that evidence says that it's part of who humankind is.
 The relevant question isn't "why", but "so what do we do with this".

A.A. I think the why is infinitely more interesting and productive.  We can't
know what to do with something unless we know what's driving it.  My personal
feelings are it's based in fear, and brainwashing by parents based on fear and
the need to control.  If we improved parenting techniques, the need for
religion would vastly diminish.  Not to worry, that's never going to happen.