[lit-ideas] Re: T'AINT FUNNY, MCGEE

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 13:46:30 EST

<<We just don't find it  funny, he said.   But then
he works in an office, doesn't  he?  Yes, he does.  He probably thinks it's a
real  documentary. >>
My husband, I may have said before,  grew up in Minnesota -- parents
Scandinavian, and good Lutherans.  Garrison  Keillor elicits huge laughs from
me, as
well as being moving at  times.
My husband doesn't understand what I  find funny.  It's just .... normal life
that Garrison describes.
By the way, I've worked in many  offices and I loathe "The Office".  The
characters are one-dimensional and  the boss dude (I've only seen it a half a
dozen times or so) is obnoxious to the  point of being painful to watch.  Kind
of
like Frasier's bro got to be at  one point in the show.  Frasier was very
uneven -- really good spells and  really annoying shows.  I rack it up to
changes
in writers, maybe.   Lots of those out there that are not consistently good
long-term.  But I  agree -- I can't imagine anyone watching the Simpsons and
not
laughing  aloud.
Julie Krueger
now longing for a good comedy movie  tonight