[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday

  • From: profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 21:26:43 -1000

When one crosses a bridge and glances sideways, one is shocked driving American
tar macadam to see the word, "rubbish" on a sign. "Garbage," yes, to this I
have become acculturated. We drove further; here was another version, with the
same wording, "Do not throw rubbish from the bridge." My post-colonial heart
leapt. My brain considered the possibility that the British presence in Hawaii
is not merely recalled on Memorial Day by some far corner of a foreign flag
with Union Jack still there. I must compose an anthem; we Brits still have
"rubbish" on notices.

David Ritchie,