[lit-ideas] Re: Suggestions for class I'm teaching????

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 22:57:15 +0100

JE> > (My thinking is that your students might be helped by
> > some "real-life" illustrations, in addition to the
> > academic literature)
>
WO> I've never been able to comprehend this putative distinction
that people so
> often draw. What sort of "academic literature" in this area
would not have
> practical relevance to ""real-life"" situations? (Whatever the
latter term may
> mean.)

You misunderstand, Walter, This is not a matter of the relevance
of the
academic literature, it's a matter of engaging students by
providing examples
that speak to them.  You may think it slightly downmarket to (for
example)
illustrate Mill's argument on free speech by discussing the
examples
he did and when students don't know enough about the Corn Laws
fully to comprehend that example, explaining it but also using a
more contemporary one, I do not.