[lit-ideas] Re: Suggestions for class I'm teaching????

  • From: Walter Okshevsky <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 11:36:50 -0230 (NDT)

Very hurriedly, as the eagle is landing.

1. Martha Nussbaum, *Educating humanity* Excellent account of how to
perpetuate liberal education in a multiculturally pluralist democracy.
(We had her here a few years back. Breathtaking.)

2. Chapter 5: Multicultural and religious diversity in *The ethics of
teaching,* Ken Strike & Jonas Soltis (Teacher's College Press, 2004). Nine
good reasons not to be a cultural relativist. (Students should also read
chapter 1 on the moral theories. No point talking culture from a
philosphical point of view if you ain't got no philosophy.)

Walter O
MUN