[lit-ideas] Re: Suggestions for class I'm teaching????

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 06:29:09 -0500

Mike Geary wrote:

. . . .What is wanted here is observation without judgment -- an observational, disinterested thingie. A thingie I call: 'how-odd'. I can sit out on my verandah any day of the week and observe behaviors that I react to as how-odd. That would be a legitimate observation considering the source, I believe. Bit I don't stop there. I also make moral judgments and that is my downfall. I know that such judgments are the judgments of a white, working-class, Catholic boy raised in the South in an overwhelmingly Baptist environment in the latter half of the 20th Century by aberrantly liberal parents, the third among 6 children, educated by mediocre teachers with a strong bent towards authoritarian control over exuberance for learning. That's who I am.

So what do I do when a student says to me "I'm sorry, but I just can't get into this "how-odd" approach; it's just not the way I was raised. The way I was raised, as a good "X," is to see everybody from all other "Y's" as evil." If all judgments are equal, his is as good as yours, and there's no point to education; no point in seeing anybody from culture "Y." If we can acknowledge the possibility of "blinders" we must also be able to see beyond them, at least sometimes.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager                john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                  Lisle, IL, USA