[lit-ideas] Re: Suggestions for class I'm teaching????

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 16:17:28 +0100 (BST)

Some theoretical comments to follow, I hope!, but
here's an anecdote.  Teaching: first year elective
feminist class.  British student originally from an
African country and very specific tribal culture
announces that in her tribe/culture children were
enouraged to experiment sexually.  All the other
students nodded and beamed in their right on liberal
tolerant etc. way -- feeling, of course, rather proud
of their ROLTW -- and went on doing do as she
elaborated, till the point where she said that the
girls were also er "loved" by older men.  At that
point they yelled at her.  (Great!)

 I also
> > make moral judgments and that is my downfall

No it isn't, Mike.  We have to navigate between the
Scylla of absolutism and the Charybdis of relativism,
as those students did that day.

Judy Evans, Cardiff

now.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/