[lit-ideas] Re: Stasi on our Minds

  • From: "Lawrence Helm"<lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 06:00:33 +0000

Mike:

Actually it was the mind of John Esposito, a Leftist who shares your position,
who framed the question -- in his book The Islamic Threat, Myth or Reality.  He
concluded the Islamic Threat to be myth just as you and Andreas do.

Oh I read your note all the way through.  I know you don't believe in the
Islamic religion, no Leftist does, but the Islamic anti-American position is
very like the Leftist anti-American position and the enemy of your enemy has
become your friend.  You share arguments.  You support each other.  Hast thou
not heard of David Horowitz?  He has established a cottage industry describing
Leftist support of Islamist positions?

There are a lot of things about America I don't like either.  I don't like the
Supreme Court usurping the responsibility of Congress.  I don't like replacing
the classics with inferior but more politically correct literature.  I don't
like the "Big Government."  I don't like it that so many Americans naively
think we don't need to defend ourselves.  I don't like the crass materialism,
the poor movies, the lack of interest in serious poetry, music, and literature.
 I don't like quiz shows, reality shows or American Idol.  I don't like it that
so many young men refuse to support their nation in times of need.  I don't
like it that so many are confused about who we are, what we stand for and why
we should be willing to fight against our enemies if necessary.  I don't like
it that we can elect a president and then decided we don't need to support him
when he puts our troops in harms way to defend our nation.  I don't like it
that the ACLU has declare war against Christianity.  I don't like it that the
Left has declared war against the constitution and bill of rights -- that they
think it a "living document" that can be changed at will to better conform to
Leftist ideology.  I don't like it that so many Leftists want to change our
government and society when what they offer in its stead is fanciful and
unworkable or patterned after something developed in Europe during the American
Protective period.

As to your references to "brutal, vicious, violent culture," I would ask
"compared to what?"  You have no comparison that isn't more brutal, vicious,
and violent unless you invoke Western Europe about which Robert Kagan wrote Of
Paradise and Power, America and Europe in the New World Order."  In the past 50
years you refer to, the U.S. cushioned Europe against the brutal, vicious,
violent culture to its East (including East Germany) and now it lauds itself
for having discovered how to be peaceful.  To which I say, Good Grief!
Besides, the cracks are in the dikes, the Islamist sea is rising and some in
places like Belgium and Holland are deciding that being brutal, vicious and
violent is the only way to deal with the Islamist threat.  (Yes, Virginia, some
Europeans perceive an Islamist threat.)  And how about that Nikolas Sarkozy?  I
understand he is proposing to pay the way of any immigrant who wants to return
to his home country.  Some Europeans are learning that the Islamists have a
patent on "brutal, vicious and violent."

Lawrence

From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, May-29-2007 9:14 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Stasi on our Minds
LH:
>>Is there room in your ideology, Mike, to ask the question, "are the Islamists
>>a serious threat to the U.S. and its allies or not?"  Apparently not.<<
Of course there's room for that question.  And there's room for many answers as
well -- it's not an either or question as your mind frames it, Lawrence.  It's
a question of under what circumstances might fundamental Islamists be a serious
threat to the US -- if at all?  Why can't you grasp that?  You say that 4 of
the possible positions I gave are Islamist positions -- I don't know what that
means -- but assuming it means that Islamists would agree with my argument, so
what?  They are rational human beings just like you are.  They can be as
correct as I am.
>> I like the U.S. the way it is. I oppose your Leftist ideology and your ally
>> the Islamist's ideology.<<
Apparently you didn't read all the way through my last email.  I forthrightly
stated there that I reject Islam just as I reject Christianity and Judaism.  I
respect the positive aspects that those religions have played in human culture
(we are them, after all), but I feel they've outlived their usefulness.  Many
here would disagree with me and I respect that too.  You like the US the way it
is, you say.  I like some of the ways that the US is, but certainly not all.
In many ways it is a brutal, vicious, violent culture, crass and thoroughly
materialistic.  It consistently values property over human life, but thinks
itself a champion of life.  It is too often hypocritical and tawdry in it's
religiosity.  It has shown tendencies within the last 50 years towards
imperialism and all the evil that entails.  But it also, it seems to me, is
still fecund, open ground where thought can freely flourish.  That is the
greatest thing about the US -- George Bush be damned.  All the hype about GDP
and our standard of living is just cheering garbage.  The American Dream of
owning one's own place in the sun is a carny's pitch.  What matters is the
spirit.  The US both crushes spirit and sets it free.  We're very schizophrenic
in that.  I'm in favor of the freeing spirit part of America.
Mike Geary

From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, May-29-2007 5:45 PM
LH:
>>There are two opinions about this matter. Either they are a serious threat or
>>they aren't.<<
If you're an ideologue, there are only two opinions -- all ideologues believe
there is only their position and the wrong position. I can see very many
positions. (1) They are no threat at all. (2) They're only a threat if we
threaten them. (3) They are a threat but our response to their threat only
increases the potency of their threat. (4) Their threat is a legitimate
response to our threat against them. (5) They are only a minor threat. (6)
We're doomed, we should surrender now. I can imagine many more. So you see,
your polarities are just the mechanisms of your ideological tendencies.
>>So when we don't know do we assume a Dr. Pangloss-Alfred E. Newman persona?
>>Or do we prepare for the worst.<<
There you go again with your polarities. Can't you even imagine any other
response? A world, perhaps, wherein complex international relationships involve
complex political responses? I know for a fact that you're not as simple-minded
as our President.
>>Can we treat them as a few nutcases or as has been estimated by a number of
>>scholars, 1/3 of the 1.5Billion Muslims in the world are Islamist and
>>sympathize with the Jihadi cause -- these people provide a fund of people to
>>be recruited to Jihadi ends. We don't know!<<
Do you think that they don't worry about the exact same thing regarding us? We
certainly don't have any better track record in the world -- the Christian
West, that is. In fact, I'd think they have more reason to worry. Our little
escapade in Iraq is just the latest evidence that we mean them harm.
>>I notice you declare yourself a "fifth-columnist," does that mean you've
>>converted to Islamism?<<
No, sorry to disappoint you, but I've had it with all three Abrahamic
religions. They're all just repositories of megalomaniacal ideologues and a
handful of dishonored saints.
Mike Geary
Memphis
From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, May-29-2007 3:30 PM

Lawrence quotes Donnersmarck as saying he was influenced "by a passage in which
Maxim Gorky records Lenin saying that he can’t listen to Beethoven’s
Appasionata because it makes him want to say sweet, silly things and pat the
heads of little people, whereas in fact those little heads must be beaten,
beaten mercilessly, to make the revolution."
Lawrence, I don't know how to say this without sounding snide and mean, but I
assure you that I have no mean or hard feelings towards you personally, just
strong disagreements. You quote Donnersmarck as a way of showing how people
like Lenin are capable of overcoming their humanistic empathetic impulses in
the pursuit of an ideology. Had you stopped there I would have agreed with you.
But you continued:
"but inasmuch as the Islamist enemy has vowed our destruction I don’t believe
this matter can remain academic. The Islamists have declared war on us and are
engaged in attacks of one kind and another; so it is prudent to protect
ourselves against their efforts – including (with apologies to Ash) protection
against Fifth-Columnist-types in our nations.
"When the spy slips in to do his evil deed, it is best to discover and stop him
– not protect his human rights and civil liberties – it seems to me."
To me your reaction seems very much like Lenin's.
Mike Geary
Fifth Columnist of Memphis