[lit-ideas] Re: Stasi on our Minds

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 09:03:30 -0700

It's not "a minor inconvenience to go through airport security." Airports have turned into militarized zones. This is nonsensical because if someone wants to hijack an aircraft, it's very easy to do so. The "airport security" isn't meant to stop hijackers. It's meant to harass people.

All of our communications are under surveillance: emails, telephone, cell phones. How will that stop al Qaeda?

All of our banking and financial transactions (every deposit, every ATM withdrawal, every credit card use) is under surveillance. How will that stop al Qaeda?

Islamists have declared war on us...

Lawrence, this is so absurd. A ragtag group is a mortal threat to the USA? Our military budget is greater than then next 50 countries COMBINED.

The point of al Qaeda is to use them as a threat. The endless surveillance and the militarization of airport is intended to to get Americans to vote correctly.

It turned out that the White House could have assassinated top al Qaeda people several weeks before the start of the Iraqi invasion. No, the attack was called off. Why? Can't have a good war without an enemy, can we now?

Why is bin Laden, five years later, still uncaptured?

The American media has completely bowed to the Bush administration. Congress has been rendered irrelevant. The White House ignores the Constitution.

That's what Ash was talking about, and that's what you simply don't see.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, May-29-2007 8:43 PM

From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I enjoyed the review and appreciate Ash generally, but in his last
paragraph he writes, "The Germany in which this film was produced, in the
early years of the twenty-first century, is one of the most free and
civilized countries on earth. In this Germany, human rights and civil
liberties are today more jealously and effectively protected than (it
pains me to say) in traditional homelands of liberty such as Britain and
the United States."

Ash doesn’t elaborate on what he means. Is he referring to the American
and British restrictions of the "human rights and civil liberties" of
avowed enemies of these nations, i.e., terrorists? I can’t think what else
he could mean.

I also read the same article and noticed that concluding paragraph.

Ash isn't talking about the "restriction of terrorists' liberties." He's
writing about ordinary US citizens.

I lived in Germany for seven years. I was often in East Berlin to visit
friends. That meant I went through the Soviet checkpoints and walked around
in East Berlin, which was a communist police state.

And I've had the same experience as Timothy Garton Ash: there was more
personal freedom in the USSR then than in the USA today.

The Soviets barely cared what you had in your bags. Totally bored, they
waved me through. In the USA: when I fly on an airplane, I must go through a
total security check. My photo IDs and baggage are examined. I've had so
many things confiscated at airports.

In East Germany, I always had my Swiss pocket knife. In the USA when I
travel, I can't even carry a tiny penknife. Not even my nail clippers. Not
even a bottle of shampoo or a tube of toothpaste.

In East Germany, we sat and drank beer and complained about the government. Nobody cared. In the USA, you'd better consider what you say about Mr. Bush
in your emails, on your phone, or cell phone. All of those are monitored.
Your bank records, your credit card transactions, and your web activity are
all monitored. All of it. Everything you do. Yes, Lawrence, we live in a
total surveillance state. The Soviets didn't have that.

I went through many Soviet and East German checkpoints. And believe me,
Lawrence, the US checkpoints are far more restrictive and threatening. One
wrong word and you not only lose your flight (and get a 36-hour detention),
you lose the right to fly anywhere forever.

That's what Ash meant in his article. But you simply don't see that. In your
eagerness to find enemies, your Bush has stripped away our liberty.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com