[lit-ideas] Re: Stasi on our Minds

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 05:59:47 -0700 (PDT)

From the NYRB, two books that compare and contrast ancient Rome with current
day U.S.:

  "What's more, Bush's "war on terror" did bin Laden's work for him. Brzezinski
is not alone in suggesting that it was a mistake to treat September 11 as an
act of war, rather than as an outrageous crime; in so doing, the administration
endowed al-Qaeda with the status it craved. ... What began as a fringe sect has
become, thanks in no small measure to the Bush administration, a global
movement able to draw on deep wells of support."

  http://www.nybooks.com/articles/20251

  And in the news:
  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18928071/

  It's no wonder Cindy Sheehan gave up.  As ignorant as the day is long,
Americans deserve what they have.

Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Our nation has taken the prudent course to provide as much protection against
terrorists as possible. We are for prudency's sake assuming the terrorist
threat is real.