[lit-ideas] Re: Shaming, Shocking Editorialising Etc.

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 12:20:51 +0000 (GMT)

First, the question of separating out institutional from individual factors in
explaining the status quo is a difficult one. Second, I do not know enough
about "governance" at Oxford to enter into this at all fully.

Nevertheless, we can start from the untenability of the status quo insofar as
quite trivial and intellectually worthless stuff gets taught [e.g. Jennifer
Hornsby], perhaps because it is 'local produce', as against more worthwhile
stuff [Popper, of course]: not only that, but the whole way issues were framed
"gamed" them to certain perspectives - and here I suggest  that Oxford only
pays lip-service to the idea that an intelligent student can always meet this
head-on by 'attacking the question', for the likely response of an examiner is
not that the question has been well-answered by showing it is badly put but
that the student has shown themselves unable to understand a valid question or
to answer it. It is secondary to this "untenability" whether it is best
explained in individual or institutional terms - the primary point must be to
change it, not explain it. It may be simpler to change than to explain, and
change or reform does not hinge on a proven
 explanation.

There must have been problems of "governance", as even the dons complained -
indeed departed for challenges elsewhere - because of issues of "governance"
[e.g. byzantine bureacracy to get 'permission' to pursue research projects, the
very kind of 'permission' independent minds will travel to avoid]. But it may
be that deficiencies in teaching may be explained more at an individual level,
and so might recruitment at college level; but it is perhaps less individual
and more "governance" and institutional where we are looking at deficiencies in
the university syllabus and examination questions [small point, but perhaps
telling: the questions in philosophy of mind and legal practical problems
betrayed the kind of 'sense of humour' of the bright but intellectually
frivolous e.g. 'Can a frog be turned into a prince?' (as a way of raising
personal identity in philosophy of mind, ho-ho) or using famous names as
characters in legal problems, trying to show the
 questioners are 'in the real world' while betraying the opposite].

Unfortunately, I feel the need to descend into example. Take the legal essay
question 'Why are purely executory contracts enforceable given the 'doctrine of
consideration'?' Once you've decoded this, you realise the question is (in
layman's terms) "Given that a contract only occurs when both parties are giving
something of value to the other, why is it that a contract is created at the
point they exchange promises - as the promises lack value unless they are
enforceable, and treating promises as valuable because they are enforceable
begs the question, how can we explain their enforceability?' Now this might
seem innocent enough, it might even seem a penetrating question. But it is
quite misconceived where, as here, it is put forward as if there is an academic
answer, or there should be an academic answer. The answer lies in
practicalities: a law that did not recognise contracts as constituted when
promises are 'exchanged' would be impractical and
 defective - just imagine if the law were otherwise. Yet the academic approach
is to get tied up in knots looking for a non-question-begging explanation of an
academic-type: whereas the knot is quickly cut through if we put on the hat of
a practical person. While some academics may have a decent practical sense of
the law [though I have posted to show one of my tutors betrayed the fact he
does
not when it comes to the difference between common law crooks and
dishonest trustees], and the best have an excellent sense of these
practicalities, they mislead by trying to present and understand legal issues
without the essential background of practicalities. Given practicalities, some
decisions that might seem inconsistent can be easily explained: for example,
the courts would appear to hold bodies granting gambling and boxing licences to
a much higher standard of accountability than, say, councils setting council
tax or planning decisions - even though all such bodies operate under the same
'rules' of adminstrative law. The answer lies not in legal analysis of the
'law' but in practicalities: even aside from the increased risk of corruption
in the case of licences, these are licences that relatively few apply for and
all involved generally have lawyers acting, so it is feasible to hold
decision-making to a much higher kind of practical standard in terms of the
'giving of reasons' than in many other kinds of
 situation. Law reports themselves may be misleading: if you followed the
licence case in court you might have noticed the importance of exchanges where
the judge established how many people applied, what kind of body decided, and
if all used legal expertise etc. - yet none of this vital information might be
in the case report, which might simply refer to the 'rules' which are the same
here as elsewhere, yet here the court applies the 'rules' in a seemingly
different way to elsewhere. Teaching law as abstract principles outside of
practicalities is like teaching 'car mechanics' or 'soccer' or 'building stuff'
as abtract principles outside of practicalities: and it perhaps no surprise
that some people with excellent academic qualifications in law are (or would
be) inept as practicioners.

In the above paragraph we have touched on something that might be best
explained not in terms of the individual or the institution, but in terms of
the 'academic approach' and its defects and limitations particularly in
relation to practical subject-matter. But if we turn to philosophy, we may also
have to explain Oxford's way with philosophy as best explained in terms of a
certain 'academic approach' to that subject-matter. In other words, as well as
individual and institutional approaches, we can approach these issues in terms
of a certain kind of intellectual tradition (John Wager's post is worth noting
here, though I tend to think most students do not opt for Oxford because that
is the place for Wittgenstein etc. but rather go there to find they are at the
mercy of a certain intellectual tradition, one they may easily accept [knowing
no better or different, and because it is 'clever' in its way], but one that
may be highly questionable ). Bryan Magee
 gives a firmer idea of what I'm getting at in 'Confessions of a Philosopher'.

Donal
Salop