[lit-ideas] Re: Shadows, Fog, and Money

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:12:19 -0400

A.A. I appreciate that.  But I don't live in much of the world.  I live in
these here United States.  I think the real problem is that I'm reeling
that people can actually ask, in utter seriousness, why would someone want
to be alive if they don't believe in god.  While another tells me that
atheists are nihilists.  If I sounded a bit crass, it was because I was
stunned.  I don't talk about religion or politics with nonlist people,
ever.  I know they're religious, but I never dreamed that they were so
religious that they wondered why if one doesn't beleive in god they would
even want to live.  It's like saying, if you don't eat meat, why would you
want to live?  If people on this erudite list can think that way, what's
out there in the rest of the country?   Honestly, I need some time to
digest this.  I guess I beat up the messenger because the message was to me
so stupefying.  I apologize to Marlena for saying it was a retarded
question.  It was a stunning question that was a real eye opener.

Andy Amago

Gods and goddesses are plural and