[lit-ideas] Re: Shadows, Fog, and Money

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 03:36:54 EDT

I hate the word "religion" and all its variants.  Religions are not  made by
God.  They are created by people trying, desperately, to understand  the
mysterious and incomprehensible.  No religion belongs to the Maker of  the
Universe.  S/He just looks on with pity and amusement at our efforts to  make
sense of
life.  God doesn't give a fig about religion.  Only  about honesty,
integrity, and compassion.

Julie Krueger
sleepless, exhausted, annoyed, and probably making no sense at  all
========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Shadows, Fog, and
Money  Date: 6/12/05 11:44:42 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_Eternitytime1@xxxxxxxx (mailto:Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In a message dated 6/12/2005 3:51:02 PM  Central Daylight Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
A.A. I   knew people are stupid.  Now I now they're assholes.  Why does   no
one explore the wonderment of why people bother to continue to live  if  they
are religious?  Why don't religious people just kill  themselves  and go and
meet their maker, take the expressway to  paradise?  I just  hope to god that
it's better in Europe than in  these backwaters called the  United States,
California and New York  excepted.  Thanks at least to  Eric for getting it
that the  wonderment is simply in being alive, not in  believing in some
tooth  fairy who tells us when to fart and when not  to.

Hi,  Andy,
My response was about why one might bother to live if one did NOT  believe
in
a Higher or Supreme Being (whether or not that being is the  tooth fairy or
not...<g>)

(I'm not sure what you meant to  accomplish by the first two
sentences...Were
they simply stated as  part of your frustration because *your*  question had
not been  answered?)

Before I do try to take a look at your question, perhaps you  can define
what
you mean by "religious people" more clearly for  me.  I do hope you are
aware
that there are are multiple ways of  looking at the world even when one
looks
at it through a "religious"  manner.

My thought is that not all "religious" folk are those like  the
fundamentalist sort.  (though I will try to answer from their  point of view
if I can...)
Please be aware of that.  There  are varying degrees of
religiousity....though
one book that I used to  like a lot in explaining some of  it was The
Heretical Imperative by  Peter Berger (I think that is who it is  by...it is
not near
me,  alas)

Would you be able to understand the varying aspects and reasons why  a
"religious person" might think that life is worth living *now* if we  look at
the
different levels or types of "relgious persons" or beliefs  that are Out
There?
(knowing while we do so that we won't be  analyzing each one--for I  do know
so many...)

I  have gathered that you might want more information on the more
fundamentalist mindset and that is okay...I can try to 'go there'.   But, it
would make
it MUCH easier if you (at least every now and then  <wry look>)  made sure to
mention that you DO understand that not  all religious mindsets are  the
same...and that alot of them do have a  problem with the fundamentalist
sorts...(though I admit that their  'time' does seem to be  'now'...<g>)

But, in case I am  misunderstanding what your definition of a 'religious
person' is,  perhaps you could define it better for me.  (I apologize if you
have
done so in the past...)

Mostly my post (to which you replied) was in  regards to a thought on the
other direction...and that is because that  topic is one that is in my
'regular
life' to a certain extent and  affects a number of people in regards to a
particular  subculture.

(though I can see how your question and Paul's  certainly do seem to  be
related....)

Best to all,
Marlena in  Missouri