[lit-ideas] Re: Proof that the world improves, possibly

  • From: david ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:33:44 -0700

I'm aiming to buy me a pretty great Jeep,
and drive the dang thing across Caesar's Creek.

http://www.river-review.org

In addition to a Jeep Rubicon, I passed an Isuzu Premise today. I'll encourage Geary or Yost or maybe Robert Paul write the ad jingle on that one.

Today I ordered an alarm clock online.

I require the following of an alarm clock: analog dial (I read that L.E.D.s emit a small amount of radiation and why bombard your head with even small amounts of radiation for eight hours every day?), electric cord with battery back-up, quiet alarm. This combination is practically impossible in the modern world. You can buy an analog clock--battery or wind-up--with a loud bell for full antique effect. You can buy every imaginable kind of L.E.D. ugly--including one that displays the time on your ceiling, for easy reading, and one that sets itself by reference to radio signals from the gummint. You can buy boom boxes that have clocks on them. But not the kind of alarm clock I want.

Or so I thought until I discovered there's an entire on-line store devoted to alarm clocks! They even sell "retro" alarm clocks, which is what my desires add up to apparently. I have ordered something that was last made in the nineteen fifties and is now hip. My so-so premise was wrong; jeep-less, I have crossed the Rubicon.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon