[lit-ideas] Re: Proof that the world improves, possibly

  • From: david ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 12:36:33 -0700

On Sep 23, 2005, at 8:00 PM, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

I'm grateful you posted this. Thank God I'm not alone. I am way too tired to begin my diatribe against public schools, my endless meetings with teachers, trying to .....

I hoped that the thingness of a well-made clock might provide comfort, succor against the educationists and their dulling witlessness. My Moonbeam arrived on Saturday. I inserted back-up batteries, plugged it in, set and tested the alarm. All was well, cool even.

This morning I woke when my wife's alarm went off. I glanced over at my Moonbeam--this is the name of the clock--and found that it registered five minutes to one. Why on earth had my wife set her alarm for such an hour? She had not. So good a replica of an old- fashioned clock is the one that I ordered, it keeps time exactly as an antique might, the second hand sweeping round vigorously, the two rather more important hands stopped, short, never to go again.

There's a lesson there somewhere, waiting to be underlined.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon