[lit-ideas] Re: Pirots and Squarrels: Grice on Ethology

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 10:34:27 -0700 (PDT)

________________________________
 From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 4:51 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Pirots and Squarrels: Grice on Ethology

________________________________
 From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>

>The fact is that the verb 'know' is just not used in English language in the
>sense of false knowledge.>

Even if true, this, I still suggest, is besides the epistemic point - for the
verb 'know' as used in English may here be a poor guide to the actual epistemic
status of 'knowledge'.

*You suggest this, but without a supporting argument. It seems to me that the
business of answering a Socratic question such as: "What is knowledge ?" may at
least be helped by clarifying how the word is
actually used in standard language. Socratic dialogues themselves contain
instances of semantic discussions. I I don't really know of any other languages
that use the word 'know' differently, either.

O.K.