[lit-ideas] Re: Neo-Cantianism/ On being indistinct

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 10:52:47 -0700

On Apr 27, 2013, at 3:33 AM, Donal McEvoy wrote:

> Btw, as Kant is Scottish may I claim him as Irish as the Scottish are just
> Irish who took a boat trip and didn't come back (hence Scots Gaelic is a
> derivative of Irish Gaelic). [David should be able to confirm this].
>
> Donal
> London

I can confirm that if you touch the coastline just to the west of Giant's
Causeway, you come upon an interpretive plaque with a paragraph as follows:
"Ulster-Scottish links  The nearness of the Scottish coast has meant that there
are strong and unavoidable cultural links between the people of the perth
Antrim coast and western Scotland.  Just listen to the north Antrim dialects.
Scotland takes its name from a warring tribe of north Irish sea raiders, the
Scotti (c.490 AD)."

No doubt Mr. Grice has much to say about the use here of "unavoidable."

The two cultures are, of course, joined by basalt.

Having seen the causeway, I'm going to have a look at the second giant's abode,
the musical cave, later this year.

http://myths.e2bn.org/mythsandlegends/textonly5639-finn-maccool-and-the-giants-causeway.html

I'm transgressive in that I don't much like Turner, but I do enjoy,
"Indistinctness," said Turner, "is my forte."  You'll find it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdNFzXH4Qug

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon