[lit-ideas] Re: Ownership and the possessive case

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 23:51:17 EDT

In a message dated 5/6/2009 10:44:49 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes:
you'll grant it's  enthymematic.

No, I won't.
----

I'd add that the ultimate  conclusion of the enthymeme would  be:

_You_ are an immoral  *git*.

(uttered by Poppers to refer to Witters).

For if an example  of a moral rule under the heading of 'ethics' (according
to an online source,  the question was posed to Popper once Witters had
left, by an admiring student  of Witters -- and thus it is _not_ the 'victory'
Popper, always ready to  self-advertise, claims it to be) is

"not to threaten  visiting lecturers with pokers"

(I still feel this is ungrammatical, or  in need of context. Surely as it
stands it's the _name_ of an action, an  infinitive, but unrepresentable
unless meaning "p!", proposition and deontic  operator (or neustic))

it would seem  that

threaten visiting  lecturers with pokers

would be _immoral_, which was what Witters was  doing.
As an online source said, it was the facetiousness (?) of Popper's
self-conscious 'witty' rejoinder that had Witters over the edge,  rightly.

JLS

**************Remember Mom this Mother's Day! Find a florist near you now.
(http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000006)