[lit-ideas] Re: Ownership and the possessive case

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 18:39:12 EDT

In a message dated 5/6/2009 6:13:07 P.M. Eastern  Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Warum nicht du Deutsch  schriebt? Keine Probleme. Kein Kampf.

"Wie Ludwig Wittgenstein Karl  Popper mit dem Feuerhaken drohte. Eine
Ermittlung. " (Faber)

Versteht?

Es tut mir leid. Fur alles. Besser rot als tot aber besser tot  als...

----

Well, yes, and since you wrote to him (in English) *to  Popper I mean, and
he replied to you, in English, perhaps I should confess to my  not thinking
his phrase was too colloquial as far as English phrases  go,

"Thus it was that Wittgenstein came to be  brandishing the poker, whereupon
Popper made his now famous response to Chairman  Russell's request for an
example of moral rule under the heading of ethics:

"Not to threaten visiting  lecturers with pokers"".

"It is then suggested, though accounts of the  incident vary according to
the viewpoint of the perceiver, that an angry  Wittgenstein who up to this
moment had brandished the offending weapon (nobody  seems to remember in which
hand) threw it to the ground ..."

First, it is  ungrammatical,

"not to threaten visiting lecturers  with pokers".

There was only _one_ poker in view.

Warnock should  defend Witters here. Warnock (in his brilliant "Metaphysics
in Logic" in A. G.  N. Flew, Essays in Conceptual Analysis, never reprinted
elsewhere)  writes:

"If I have only one book I can say,  truly, "Some of my books
are very  interesting""

As R. Paul says, if you do not want to sound authoritative,  look for the
context:

nicht zu  zretten visitand lekturen mit feuerhaken

--- That _would_ have  pleased one Jewish person in the room (the rich one,
Witters). But instead, he  had to endure a strong-accented ungrammatical
thing, as uttered (to please,  perhaps Russell).

"Chairman Russell's request for an example of  moral rule under the heading
of ethics:
"Not to threaten visiting  lecturers with pokers"".

I can imagine that Bertie's question  was:

not:

"I request for an example of moral rule under the heading of  ethics."

More colloquially could  be,

"such as...?"

in the context where Popper (not yet Sir) was babbling  such.

And then he looked intensely at Witters (and they both knew that  each
other spoke  German):

"Not to threaten visiting lecturers with pokers"

As opposed to  _non-visiting_ lecturers? The 'visiting' is _not_ otiose; it
is  insulting.

Was he being a ------- (slang term for coward).

The  universalizable 'rule' under the heading _ethics_ *cannot* mention
definite  descriptors like 'poker'. Ethics is about _more Generic_ things. The
rule, if  any, would  be:

"threats forbidden"  -- verbotten -- period.

It is imaginable that  Wittgenstein felt offended.

Grice writes re: 'threatening' in "From the  banal to the bizarre: method
in philosophical psychology', section last. An  action, like a movement,
_may_ be interpreted as a _threat_ but it may not. It's  obvious that Popper
was
ill-willed in judging Witters to be _threatening_ him  (i.e. Popper) with a
'feuerhaken'. The implication (or 'implicature' if you  must) is:

"This queer fellow here --  scares me"

I cannot imagine how the 'symposium' ended. Was a chairman  needed?

"Russell, who was up on the speaker's platform smoking his  pipe, ..."

NON-Healthy.

Speaker's platform? These brits cannot  hold a friendly meeting without
calling it a symposium, or sym-smoking, if you  must.

And you call that 'a threshold of philosophy'????

Not  surprised Popper was never invited to Oxford, or  Witters.

Cheers,

JLS

**************Remember Mom this Mother's Day! Find a florist near you now.
(http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000006)