[lit-ideas] Re: Normal and Revolutionary Learning

  • From: "carol kirschenbaum" <carolkir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 21:36:07 -0700

Walter O., on vacation, wishes to eat well. He asked:

  Back to really imp.things:
> creating a beef casserole in my new Russian baking pot. No, I can't tell
> you
> where I got it from. (Are you supposed to
> brown the beef in a pan *before* putting it into the casserole dish with
> the
> potatoes, green beans, carrots, stroganoff sauce, and secret Russian herbs
> and
> spices? Let me know sofort; ich bin hungrig.)

Walter,
If your casserole container is made of heavy cast iron and can be placed on
the burners, you could brown the beef directly in that pot, adding a liquid
(if desired) and vegetables when the beef is sufficiently brown. All-
in-one-pot cooking, my specialty. If your casserole pot cannot go on the
stove, brown the beef and transfer to ovenware pot. There's also theoption
of browning the beef in the casserole pot using the oven's broiler.

Do the Strogonoff bit at the last minute before serving, if you're using a
traditional sour cream recipe.

Good yum to you,
Carol,
hibernating in air conditioning