[lit-ideas] Re: Normal and Revolutionary Learning

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 17:36:38 -0500

To begin with, let me apologize for replying sans reply.  A senior moment.

Now then.  Walter asks:
Would anybody here be able to recall in one's own biography a case of
revolutionary learning?

Affirmative. Several instances, but I'll only recount two here -- as in the here and now of this point in time, that is. Instance #1: Enter moi, a senior in high school. Doleful expression. Casting about histrionically, searching for something meaningful to pursue in life. Hey! What about God? If there really is a God, what could be more important? More meaningful? Nothing!!! Bingo. The priesthood, I saw then as a way of opening the door of one's self to those intimations of divinity that keep knocking. Open up and let 'em in. So I did.

What's so revolutionary about that? Nothing. Except that I did it against all my yearnings and instincts. Without warning, I suddenly decided that some transcendental meaning glimpsed only in aesthetic moments of what seemed transcendent love, sympathy, compassion, caring, beauty, and just plain old niceness had more meaning than the wondrously ever inviting pleasures of the flesh. To be one with God, that was my revolutionary ambition. I set out to learn how. But what I learned was, as is the case in almost every instance, that the Institution comes first and foremost. God was just another commodity.

Instance #2: Enter moi, a senior in college. Doleful expression. Casting about histrionically, searching for something meaningful to pursue in life. Having decided I believed in women more than the Church, I left the seminary to look for a woman with whom I could build an authentic, meaningful life while pursuing noble goals. So what means this 'authentic', this 'meaningful', this 'noble'? I thought I knew. I thought I knew I knew. Ay, yai, yai-yai, yai. Where was my head? Didn't I realize that in due course the earth is going to be evaporated? The whole solar system will just die like a fly come the galactic seasonal change? Suddenly I realized that there's nothing to be done, nothing to be won, nothing to grieved since it was all foretold so long ago. Human existence is as meaningless as meaninglessness can get. Goddamnit! Once earth is turned into plasma, the fact that human beings ever existed, that all the astonishing beauty and wonder and supremely amazing thoughts brought forth by this then still half-ape species -- the knowledge of all that will be lost forever. Could life possibly be any more meaningless? Candle flame. Wind coming. Kill yourself or get over it. Ach!

Instance #3 (I lied about there being only 2): I got over it. Enter moi, thirty-something. Resigned expression. Contentedly doing my menial job gardening the machines. Searching for nothing but butterfly awarenesses. Then suddenly I realized at age 45 that I was God. I was the only perspective in the universe, from my perspective anyway --and other perspective was there? from my perspective, I mean. What I decided was true was true, what I decided mattered, mattered. As long as I exist there is meaning, multifarious meanings if I choose, come all you anguished souls, fling roses riotously to the throngs, meaning has returned, I am the decider!! Me! I am the universe, I am God, just like you, and just like you I let all of you exist for my pleasure, my curiosity, my entertainment. Through me. ye be. So carry on, I say. Entertain me.

Mike Geary
Revolutionary Historian of the Universe of Me

----- Original Message ----- From: <wokshevs@xxxxxx>