[lit-ideas] Re: Normal and Revolutionary Learning

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, carol kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 17:23:42 -0230

Carol provides universalizable culinary maxims for one and all. Behold:

Quoting carol kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Walter,
> If your casserole container is made of heavy cast iron and can be placed on
> the burners, you could brown the beef directly in that pot, adding a liquid
> (if desired) and vegetables when the beef is sufficiently brown. All-
> in-one-pot cooking, my specialty. If your casserole pot cannot go on the
> stove, brown the beef and transfer to ovenware pot. There's also theoption
> of browning the beef in the casserole pot using the oven's broiler.

Carol and other interested parties,

Thank you so much for your very thoughtful and detailed response to my distress
signal. I'm not sure of the physical constitution of my container so I am wary
of putting it on the burners. I browned the beef in a pan on the stove and then
added the beef to the pot, along with the green beans, carrots, potatoes,
secret Czarist-Russian herbs and spices, Stroganoff sauce, and a tad of
Beaujolais (well, perchance more than a tad :-). The result was beyond my
expectations. I continue to live off of the leftovers to this day.

> Do the Strogonoff bit at the last minute before serving, if you're using a
> traditional sour cream recipe.

This is very embarrasssing. The Stroganoff sauce that I used came in a jar -
President's Choice/Dominion - and it made no mention of adding sour cream. Are
you suggesting the possibly analytic truth that Stroganoff sauce must have sour
cream in it? (Olyeg Mihailovitch Stroganoff was actually allergic to smyetana
and would break out in hives at the very sight of the stuff.)

Walter O.
First Chef,
Plato's Culinary Academy Abroad
Red Deer, Alberta