[lit-ideas] Re: Murder by Membership

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 15:31:33 -0230

I believe it's time for the truth about this List to be disclosed: members,
once
recruited, can neither check out anytime they please, nor ever leave.  Attempts
to do either, indeed even the thought of doing either, will cause the release
of a very large white bouncing ball which will chase you wherever you go until
you cease your fruitless efforts at a life outside the zone.

Powerful hallucinogenic substances, secretly instilled in your favourite foods
and libations while you sleep, will at times give you the impression that you
have indeed successfully escaped the demands of list membership on your
authenticity and powers of analysis and are now happily pursuing the good life
somewhere in Soho, free those interminable metaphysical disputes and those
hair-splitting, mind-eroding conceptual analyses.... (not to mention the poetry
.. oh the poetry!)

But eventually ..... the truth slowly and indelibly begins to sink in: you're
still here and you're still one of us. Caged forever in the space of reasons
simply for failing to attain omniscience and omnipotence in this sublunary
life. True, you're not alone ... and there's the rub.

Dante or Rod Serling or The Cheap Detective or Public Reason? ... YOU decide.

Karloff ... WALTER Karloff .... shaken, not stirred, by the truth of it all.