[lit-ideas] Re: Murder by Membership

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 08:38:07 -0700 (PDT)

On phil lit we actually had a book club and it was more like a teeth pulling
club.&nbsp; The first book had a fair amount of interest and it kept dwindling
down until the last book when it was only Mike and me, and I'm not sure how
much of Mike's participation&nbsp;was due to feelings of obligation over having
suggested reading the book.&nbsp;
&nbsp;
And that was in the very different, long gone&nbsp;20th century.&nbsp; At the
time the Towers went down I was reading an Anthony Trollope novel and I could
no longer concentrate on it.&nbsp; I would read a page and reread it and reread
it again and what I could figure out seemed so nonsensical.&nbsp;&nbsp; I
finally gave up.&nbsp; I got past that, things normalized, but clearly for me
the 20th century was over.&nbsp; Iraq,&nbsp;China, climate change, peak oil,
the economy, the rearranging of superpowers are all in the 21st century, but no
literature.&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;
I agree with Lawrence&nbsp;that movies are a very reasonable facsimile of great
books as well as literary in their own right.&nbsp; I've suggested several
movies and except for Rent that Lawrence watched, there's been no interest and
no response.&nbsp;&nbsp;Sometimes I think the antidote&nbsp;to this godforsaken
21st century is literature, is an escape into another time, but I can't seem to
manage it.&nbsp; Can't seem even to write the mini essays of phil&nbsp;lit days
on varied and sundry topics.&nbsp;
&nbsp;
If anyone wants to suggest a movie, maybe someone can&nbsp;pick something and
we can watch and comment.&nbsp; Come to think of it, last week we saw Let There
Be Blood, fiction, supposedly loosely based on Upton Sinclair's Oil!&nbsp; It
was interesting in a cerebral sort of way.&nbsp; I remember thinking, that
sounds like Philip Glass, which means the music was obtrusive.&nbsp; The search
for oil was an excuse for the story it seemed.&nbsp;
&nbsp;
I'm siding with Lawrence but not really complaining, just explaining.