[lit-ideas] Re: Muhammed and the Giant Peach

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 19:36:36 +0000 (GMT)

--- "P.H.Lundbech" <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's actually much worse. The delegation that
> travelled to the
> middle east seeking support for the protests against
> Jyllands-Posten, claimed to represent almost 30
> danish muslim
> organisations and thereby a majority of Denmarks
> 200000 muslims.
> In fact many individuals and organisations were
> placed on the
> list without having been asked. Some organisations
> listed didn't
> even exist. Some newspapers report that the
> delegation
> represented no more than maybe a thousand
> fundamentalists.

That's bad.  ("A thousand" could be an underestimate
given that 700 Muslims demonstrated in London; but I
see no signs at all of concern among Muslims in
general, here.)

> printing these cartoons. Fl. Rose (a Jyllands-Posten
> editor)
> explained in a TV interview, that one of the reasons
> for
> publishing the cartoons, was stories of two european
> museums (one
> in Sweden, the other one, I think, was Tate)
> removing items from
> exhibitions out of the fear of insulting muslims,
> the murder of
> the dutch film maker Theo van Gogh, as well as the
> story of
> danish auther Kåre Bluitgen, who had trouble finding
> an
> illustrator for a childrens book about Islam.

I thought Bluitgen's problem was *the* reason.  (I'd
be happier about the explanation if the paper
concerned weren't rather nasty!)

The
> newspaper had
> concerns about the state of the free speech rights
> in Denmark and
> Europe.

I understand that concern and know that it is more
widespread and intense in certain other European
countries than it is here.

> A question one ought to ask oneself, is how many of
> the
> demonstrators in the arabic countries have seen the
> cartoons,
> when none of their newspapers have printed them and
> no arabic
> TV-stations has shown them? Do they know what they
> are angry
> about?

They may well not know.  Someone on another list is
convinced they don't and that much of this is
whipped-up by their leaders.

Judy Evans, Cardiff